If you or someone close to you is in the process of finding a good clinical psychologist, the biggest worry is to do with finding a good psychologist who can correctly help you ease your problems. This means that the psychologist should be able to first correctly diagnose what you are suffering from and then provide you with the right techniques to come out of the problem. Finding such a psychologist is not an easy task and there is no sure shot way to do it. However, there are certain things that you should keep in mind before you choose a clinical psychologist to treat you and these are listed below-
- Training and experience- unfortunately, there are several individuals today who practice psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy, as well as counselling without holding the necessary credentials or being certified. These individuals can cause more harm than good. Therefore, it is necessary for you to inquire about the certifications and licenses held by the individual before committing to a contract or starting sessions
- Healthy relationship- it is important for the psychologist to be able to maintain a healthy relationship with you and be warm, caring and comforting. The more at ease you feel with your psychologist, the higher your chance of improving with continued session
- Balance between being professional and being humane- it is necessary for you to find a psychologist who can be professional and not overly personal, like a friend or family member. But at the same time, the psychologist should not be inhumane in the way he/she communicates with you
- Information- the psychologist should be able to give you all the information you seek regarding what you are going through, how to prevent it, and future courses of treatment. With regard to the treatment in particular, the psychologist should be able to answer queries related to how long and what the treatment will entail. There are several forms of therapy available such as gestalt therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, hypnotherapy, psychoanalysis, behavioural therapy, counselling as well as more specialised forms of therapy such as couples therapy and family therapy. Each psychologist is best suited to a certain school and should be clear about which therapy is going to be used for you
- Reliability- last but not least, the psychologist should be an individual you can rely on. This includes keeping appointments that are made, following through with and ensuring that the goals set are achieved and giving you the sense of feeling secure and comfortable.
Keep in mind that you are going to a clinical psychologist in order to feel better. If there is anything in the therapy that makes you uncomfortable, you should certainly speak up about it and not be in distress. Archways is a centre for cognitive behavioural therapy that provides psychological assessment and therapy for children, adolescents, as well as adults. It is a private clinic comprising of a team of well-trained clinical psychologists with years of experience. Click here to know more http://www.archways.ca/.